Wednesday, June 27, 2018

4th of July

Independence Day is a week away.

I will honor the sacrifices my ancestors made, both those who fought and those who refused to shed another's blood, by renewing my commitment to justice for those who have been abused, and shelter for those who flee one life in hopes for a better one.

I will teach my children that we are stronger together, that honesty is the best policy, that justice is what love looks like in public. Those are the American values that inspire the best in people, and I want the best for them and for our country.

And after the fourth of July, I will buy the discounted flag-stamped napkins. I am tired of cowards and charlatans clutching the flag in their tiny hands, they desecrate it with the flatulence that comes out of their mouths.

I am going to rescue these symbols of the values my ancestors -- and what all Americans are supposed to share, the hope and the mercy that is our shared light in the darkness -- I am going to rescue the symbols from the recycling bin, and I am going to take them back.

I am going to bake.

July 14th, we are going to hold a church basement bakesale at Saint Mary's near Times Square. We are going to wrap baked goods in the flag-stamped napkins and we are going to donate all proceeds to Make The Road NY, a local non-profit run by and for immigrants.

Because immigrants are as American as apple pie.

1 comment:

  1. I really admire your writing and attitude. Thank you for sharing, and for caring.

    ReplyDelete