Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fruit

OWS Update: I guess I probably didn't mention here, though it was all over my twitter... Yesterday morning I went down to Federal Hall. I brought munchkins and canned fruit and then discovered the closest Dunkin Donuts (Google Maps lied, it is not on Fulton but Maiden Lane, FWIW) and ordered two dozen donuts and a gallon of coffee and a gallon of hot chocolate. "Will that be all?" asked the manager. "That's all I can carry!" I said, laughing. She smiled brightly, "I'll help you carry!" she suggested.

I'm not sure if she was serious or not. ...Maybe next time I'll take her up on the offer.

J and Y and (er, I forget his name) gave me big hugs and thanked me, saying that sort of thing really helped them keep going. A tourist took pictures and grinned and kept saying, "Is this a zoo? They look like animals!" I turned my back on him because yes, they are caged in by police and heckling tourists and they aren't perfect but they are trying. They are trying so hard. And if I was more clever or more kind I would engage him in a meaningful dialogue... But I had just carried two gallons of hot liquid several blocks and I wasn't feeling the right kind of thoughtful.

A young woman had "DEBT" written on her t-shirt. Later she added "End" above it and "Slavery" below it. She stood next to the Washington Statue and a Parks Debt SWAT team member-- in his bullet proof vest-- came up and told her she had to move away from George. Apparently, Washington didn't want her free speech cooties.


He made her move the cardboard signs that had piled up at George's feet, too. He didn't notice the fruit cup. I was proud of that little fruit cup. Go, fruit cup, go! Stand short and proud! Speak your truth silent and sweet!

Sigh.

Today is a LittleMan day, and he doesn't want to go to protests. "I scared, I don't want to get arrested," he says and I don't blame him. Monday morning he woke up, and the first thing he said was, "Mommy, when you get arrested I don't know where you are and I'm scared!" So we had a snuggle and talked about how  !ProtestDaddy and ProtestKid would be safe and would take care of him even if he didn't know where I was.

But he still doesn't want to come to protests, and I still don't blame him.

Tomorrow, then, when he's at daycare I'll tromp down. Maybe I'll bring some fresh markers and cardboard.

If there's something you'd like me to write on a sign and hold for the morning, let me know. I've avoided that, but if the police are going to escalate their harassment, maybe I need to escalate my silent truth.

Now, with added sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment